Unless otherwise expressly stated or the context clearly indicates a different intention, the following terms shall, for the purpose of this chapter, have the meanings indicated in this section.

(a)   Alcohol means the product of distillation of any fermented liquid, whether rectified or diluted, whatever the origin thereof, and includes synthetic ethyl alcohol but does not include denatured alcohol or wood alcohol.

(b)   Alcoholic liquor means alcohol, spirits, wine, beer and every liquid or solid, patented or not, containing alcohol, spirits, wine or beer and capable of being consumed as a beverage by a human being, but shall not include any cereal malt beverage.

(c)   Caterer means an individual, partnership or corporation which sells alcoholic liquor by the individual drink, and provides services related to the serving thereof, on unlicensed premises which may be open to the public, but does not include a holder of a temporary permit selling alcoholic liquor in accordance with the terms of such permit.

(d)   Cereal Malt Beverage means any fermented but undistilled liquor brewed or made from malt or from a mixture of malt or malt substitute, but does not include any such liquor which is more than 3.2 percent alcohol by weight.

(e)   Class A Club means a premises which is owned or leased by a corporation, partnership, business trust or association and which is operated thereby as a bona fide nonprofit social, fraternal or war veterans’ club, as determined by the State of Kansas, for the exclusive use of the corporate stockholders, partners, trust beneficiaries or associates (hereinafter referred to as members), and their families and guests accompanying them.

(f)   Class B Club means a premises operated for profit by a corporation, partnership or individual, to which members of such club may resort for the consumption of food or alcoholic beverages and for entertainment

(g)   Club means a Class A or Class B club.

(h)   Drinking Establishment means premises which may be open to the general public, where alcoholic liquor by the individual drink is sold.

(i)    General Retailer means a person who has a license to sell cereal malt beverages at retail.

(j)    Limited Retailer means a person who has a license to sell cereal malt beverages at retail only in original and unopened containers and not for consumption on the premises.

(k)   Place of Business. Any place at which cereal malt beverages or alcoholic beverages or both are sold.

(l)    Temporary Permit means a permit, issued in accordance with the laws of the State of Kansas, which allows the permit holder to offer for sale, sell and serve alcoholic liquor for consumption on unlicensed premises, open to the public.

(m)  Wholesaler or distributor. Any individuals, firms, copartnerships, corporations and associations which sell or offer for sale any beverage referred to in this chapter, to persons, copartnerships, corporations and associations authorized by this chapter to sell cereal malt beverages at retail.

(Code 2000)

(a)   No alcoholic liquor shall be sold or served by a person holding a license or permit from the city whose place of business or other premises are located within 300 feet of any church, school, nursing home, library, or hospital, said distance to be measured from the nearest property line of such church, school, nursing home, library, or hospital, to the nearest property line occupied by the premises.

(b)   The distance location of subsection (a) above shall not apply to a club, drinking establishment, caterer or temporary permit holder when the license or permit applicant petitions for and receives a waiver of the distance limitation from the governing body. The governing body shall grant such a waiver only following public notice and hearing and a finding by the governing body that the proximity of the establishment is not adverse to the public welfare or safety.

(c)   No license or permit shall be issued for the sale of alcoholic liquor if the building or use does not meet the zoning ordinance requirements of the city or conflicts with other city laws, including building and health codes.

(K.S.A. 41-710; Code 2000; Code 2013)

(a)   It shall be unlawful for any person under the age of 21 years to remain on any premises where the sale of alcoholic liquor is licensed for on-premises consumption, or where a caterer or temporary permit holder is serving alcoholic liquor.

(b)   It shall be unlawful for the operator, person in charge or licensee of any premises licensed for on-premises consumption of alcoholic liquor or a caterer or temporary permit holder who is serving alcoholic liquor to permit any person under the age of 21 years to remain on the premises.

(c)   This section shall not apply if the person under the age of 21 years is accompanied by his or her parent or guardian, or if the licensed or permitted premises derives not more than 30 percent of its gross receipts in each calendar year from the sale of alcoholic liquor for on-premises consumption.

(d)   No one under 21 years of age permitted on premises after 10:00 P.M.

(Code 2000; Code 2013)

No person shall drink or consume any alcoholic liquor on city owned public property. However, this prohibition shall not apply to special events such as adult softball tornaments at Centennial Park/Ball Field, the White City Prairie Smoke-Off, and any other special events approved by the city council. A $50 deposit for damage or cleanup will be required, to be refunded after inspection by designated person(s).

(K.S.A. Supp. 41-719; Code 2000; Code 2013)