(a) It shall be unlawful for any person, firm or corporation to keep, maintain or have in his or her possession or under his or her control within the city any poisonous reptile or any other dangerous wild animal or reptile, any vicious or dangerous animal or any other animal or reptile of wild, vicious or dangerous propensities.
(b) It shall be unlawful for any person to keep, maintain or have in his or her possession or under his or her control within the city any of the following animals:
(1) All poisonous animals including rear-fang snakes.
(2) Apes: Chimpanzees; gibbons; gorillas, orangutans; and siamangs.
(9) Crocodilians, 30 inches in length or more.
(10) Constrictor snakes, six feet in length or more.
(12) Deer; includes all members of the deer family, for example, white-tailed deer, elk, antelope and moose.
(14) Game cocks and other fighting birds.
(23) Pumas; also known as cougars, mountain lions and panthers.
(c) The prohibitions of this section shall not apply to bona fide pet shops, zoos, circuses, carnivals, educational institutions, or medical institutions, if:
(1) All animals and animal quarters are kept in a clean and sanitary condition and so maintained as to eliminate objectionable odors; and
(2) Animals are maintained in quarters so constructed as to prevent their escape.
(d) The city council shall have the authority to order any animal deemed vicious confined, destroyed or removed from the city.
(Code 2000; Code 2013)