The general management, care, control and supervision of the city water system shall be in the superintendent of water and sewage, who shall be appointed by the mayor with the consent of the governing body.

(Code 1986, 11-302; Code 2000)

The furnishing of water to customers by the city through its waterworks system shall be governed by the regulations set out in this article.

(Code 2000)

The city does not guarantee the delivery of water through any of its mains and connecting services at any time except only when its mains, pumping machinery, power service connection are in good working order, and the supply of water is sufficient for the usual demand of its consumers.

(Code 1986, 11-314; Code 2000)

(a)   The owner of all houses, buildings, or properties used for human occupancy, employment, situated within the city abutting on any street, alley, or right-of-way in which there is now located or may in the future be located near public water mains, is hereby required at his or her own expense to make connection to such public water main.

(b)   Before any connection is made to the city’s water system an application must be made in writing to the city clerk by the owner of the premises, or his or her authorized representative, for a permit to make such connection.

(Code 2000; Ord. 15-204; Code 2013)

(a)   Extension of the water system of the city to areas not presently served by the water system within the city limits may be requested by at least 50% of the affected property owner or may be ordered by the governing body. In either case all costs of the extension shall be assessed to the affected property owners. The costs to property owners shall be prorated depending on size and amount of property owned. The property owners’ cost shall be considered as a special assessment and added to the annual property tax bill and prorated over a period of 15 years. Any of the affected property owners may pay their portion as a lump sum payment directly to the city at the time service connection is made.

(b)   Plans and specifications for the extensions to the water system shall be prepared and/or approved by a qualified engineer of the city’s choosing and must meet all KDHE requirements. The governing body shall make final approval of any extensions.

(Code 1986, 11-311; Ord. 540, Sec. 6)

(a)   Any person, firm or corporation desiring a connection with the municipal water system shall apply in writing to the city clerk, on a form furnished by the city for that purpose, for a permit to make the connection.

(b)   The application shall:

(1)   Contain an exact description including street address of the property to be served;

(2)   State the size of tap required;

(3)   State the size and kind of service pipe to be used;

(4)   State the full name of the owner of the premises to be served;

(5)   State the purpose for which the water is to be used;

(6)   State any other pertinent information required by the city clerk;

(7)   Be signed by the owner or occupant of the premises to be served, or his or her authorized agent.

(c)   Each application for a connection permit shall be accompanied by payment of fees and/or costs specified in Section 15-207.

(Code 2000)

All taps shall be given, street excavations made, corporation cocks inserted, pipes installed from main to curb, and the curb cock installed in a meter box to which the service pipe is to be connected by city employees only.

(Code 1986, 11-307; Code 2000)

(Code 1986, 11-306; Ord. 540; Code 2000; Code 2013)

There shall be a curb cock in every service line attached to the city main, the same to be placed within the meter box. Curb cocks shall be supplied with strong and suitable “T” handles.

(Code 1986, 11-307; Code 2000)

Check valves are required on all connections to steam boilers or on any other connection deemed necessary by the water superinten­dent. Safety and relief valves shall be placed on all boilers or other steam apparatus connected with the water system where the steam pressure may be raised in excess of 40 pounds per square inch.

(Code 2000)

It shall be unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation, other than duly authorized city officials or employees to turn water on or off at the water meter or curb cock shut off, with a key or in any other manner.

(Code 2000)

(a)   All water furnished to customers shall be metered.

(b)   Meters shall be located between the sidewalk or property line and curbing when the main is in the street, and on private property within three feet of the alley line when the main is in the alley.

(c)   The city’s responsibility stops at the property line.

(Code 1986, 11-310; Code 2000; Code 2013)

Meters shall be tested before being set and at any other time thereafter when they appear to be measuring incorrectly. If a test is requested by the customer and the meter is found to be accurate within two percent, the meter will be deemed correct and a charge of $25 will be made to the customer.

(Code 2013)

It shall be unlawful for any person to break the seal of any meter, to alter the register or mechanism of any meter, or to make any outlet or connection in any manner so that water supplied by the city may be used or wasted without being metered. It shall be unlawful for any person except an authorized employee of the water department to turn any curb cock on or off.

(Code 2000)

No allowances shall be made for water used or lost through leaks, carelessness, neglect or otherwise after the same has pass through the meter. However, every customer shall have the right to appeal to the city from water bill or meter reading which he or she may consider excessive.

(Code 2000)

Any service disconnected for nonpayment of delinquent bill shall be reconnected only upon full payment of the delinquent bill, interest penalty thereon, the current bill and a reconnection charge of $50.

(Code 2000; Ord. 2012-XV; Code 2013)

See section 15-105.

(Code 2013)

The city reserves the right to interrupt water service for the purpose of making repairs or extensions to water lines or equipment.

(Code 2000)

It shall be a violation of this article for any unauthorized person to:

(a)   Perform any work upon the pipes or appurtenances of the city’s waterworks system beyond a private property line unless such person is employed by the city;

(b)   Make any connections with any extension of the supply pipes of any consumer without written permission to do so having been first obtained from the governing body;

(c)   Remove, handle or otherwise molest or disturb any meter, meter lid, cutoff, or any other appurtenances to the water system of the city.

(Code 2000)

Water users shall prevent unnecessary waste of water and shall keep sprinklers, hydrants, faucets and all apparatus, including the service line leading from the property to the meter in good condition at their expense.

(Code 2000)

Authorized employees of the city may enter upon any premises at reasonable hours for the purpose of reading the meter or servicing or inspecting meters or water lines.

(Code 1986, 11-324; Code 2000)

The following rates are hereby established for consumers of water, to-wit: All consumer services shall pay a minimum charge of $17.00 per month for the first 2,000 gallons of water or fraction thereof and $4.00 per thousand gallons ($.004 per gallon) thereafter. The following not for profit organizations will be exempt from the first 2,000 gallons: American Legion, Christian Church and Methodist Church. Any usage above the minimum will apply to all consumers. For water service furnished to customers outside the city, the rate shall be determined by the city council on a case-by case basis.

(Code 1986; Ord. 541; Ord. 15-221-A; Ord. 15-221-B; Ord. 10-05-05; Ord. 10-07; Code 2013; Ord. 2013-15-211)

All water bills for the previous month’s water service shall be paid on or before the 20th day of the month following the service. For any billing not paid when due a late charge of 10% will be added to the bill.

(Code 1986, 11-318; Code 2000)

Water service shall be terminated for nonpayment of service fees or charges.

(Code 2000)

(Code 2000; Code 2013)

No person shall establish or permit to be established or maintain or permit to be maintained, any cross connection whereby a private, auxiliary, or emergency water supply other than the regular public water supply of the city may enter the supply and distributing system of the city unless specifically approved by the Kansas Department of Health and Environment and the governing body.

(Ord. 538, Sec. 1; Code 2000)

Approved devices to protect against backflow or backsiphonage shall be installed at all fixtures and equipment where backflow and/or backsiphonage may occur and where there is a hazard to the potable water supply in that polluted water or other contaminating materials may enter into the public water supply. Any situation in which a heavy withdrawal of water, such as a sudden break in the main or water being used from a fire hydrant, may cause a negative pressure to develop which could lead to backsiphonage of polluted water into the system shall be improper and must be protected by approved backflow preventive valves and systems as determined by the superintendent.

(Ord. 538, Sec. 2; Code 2000)

The city utility superintendent or other designee of the governing body shall have the right of entry into any building or premises in the city as frequently as necessary in his or her judgment in order to ensure that plumbing has been installed in accordance with the laws of the city so as to prevent the possibility of pollution of the water supply of the city.

(Ord. 538, Sec. 3; Code 2000)

Pursuant to the city’s constitutional home rule authority and K.S.A. 65-163a, the city by its utility superintendent may refuse to deliver water through pipes and mains to any premises where a condition exists which might lead to the contamination of the public water supply system and it may continue to refuse the delivery of water to the premises until that condition is remedied. In addition, the city utility superintendent may terminate water service to any property where the cross connections or backsiphonage condition creates, in the judgment of the superintendent, an emergency danger of contamination to the public water supply.

(Ord. 538, Sec. 4; Code 2000)